From time to time, it’s good to remember how horrible war is. We’re surrounded by movies or videogames and all kind of things that mimics the original, crude situation of war. Could be shocking, could be gruesome, but there is a part of reality that should be known anyway, in order to remember how lucky we are to live in declared peace, and how careful we must be in order to keep it this way. Even if nowadays war developed an incredible market, from toys, games or clothing, we must remember that back then, there wasn’t a respawn point.
1. In death all the soldiers are the same, no parties, no differences. Here is a picture from WW I. Dead German and French soldiers, resting together in the same trench.
2. Soviet machine gun nest, probably hit by artillery fire.
3. In every war, the civilians are the first to suffer. “I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask: Mother, what was war?” (Eve Merriam)
4. Dead US soldier hit by a German sniper. He was on the trench’s edge, probably with the intention of throwing the grenade which is visible in his hand. When he stood up in order to throw the grenade, was totally exposed for the German marksman.
5. “Let them go, you won’t take everything with you into the grave!”. Not exactly this German soldier’s idea, frozen to death together with some looted items.
6. While in a tank, maybe you could feel safe or somehow protected. Many tankists felt that they were in an iron coffin, slow and easy to target, somehow like the feeling described by submarine crews. Yes, you guessed right. You’re not safe in a tank, if the right gun targets you. The dead driver of a tank which was hit by penetrating ammunition.
7. Very often, while looking at dead soldiers pictures, you’re tempted to believe that they are sleeping. There is a strange stillness in some of the pictures, an ambiguous feeling.
8. Who knows what was the last thing he saw and the last thought he had.
9. WW II German anti-tank crew, dead around a damaged PAK cannon. Very probably they were hit by direct artillery fire; not the broken cannon shield.
10. Dead pilot near his crashed plane.
11. Frozen German officer.
12. Soviet soldier, probably hit by a splinter shell.
13. ”The condition of man is a condition of war of everyone against everyone.”(Thomas Hobbes) U.S. soldiers on the Iwo Jima battlefield.
14. The Massacre from Bartolomeu, October 1916
15. Japanese soldier. He looks both burned and shot in the forehead.