Here is a list of facts and curiosities related to World War II, good things to know in a conversation or facts you didn’t know even if you already are a World War passionate.
1. The most important medical advance that saved soldiers’ lives during WWII was the blood transfusion.
2. The country with the largest number of WWII causalities was Russia, with over 21 million.
3. In 1974, a Japanese soldier named Hiroo Onoda (1922- 2014) came out of the jungle of the Pacific island of Lubang. He had been hiding there for 29 years, unaware that his country had surrendered.
4. Hitler designed the Nazi flag. Red stood for the social idea of Nazism, white for nationalism, and the black swastika for the struggle of the Aryan man.
5. The Nazi salute was modeled on the salute of Italian Fascists, the ancient Romans, as well as ancient Germans. The raised arm resembles a raised spear.
6. Rudolf Hess, Adolf Hitler’s deputy in the Nazi party, was the last person to have been incarcerated in the Tower of London.
7. If it became necessary to drop a third atom bomb on Japan, the city that would have been the target was Tokyo
8. Germany had a total of 3,363 generals during the war while the U.S. had just over 1,500.
9. Out of the 40,000 men who served on U-boats during WWII, only 10,000 returned.
10. Hitler kept a framed photo of Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company, on his desk. Henry Ford also kept a framed photo of the Nazi leader on his desk in Dearborn, Michigan. In Mein Kampf, Hitler included some anti-Semitic views attributed to Ford.
(Extracts from Benford, Timothy B. The World War II Quiz and Fact Book. New York, NY: Random House, 1999)